Friday, July 5, 2013

My Post-Swimming Haircare Routine

Oh, the pool. How nice is it to cool off after a very hot day?

Here's the thing about me and pools: I cannot keep my hair dry. A lot of girls will put their hair up in top knots and stay in the shallow end to protect their hair, but if I am in the water, I am fully in the water.
And let's just say my hair suffers.
Tangles.
Knots.
Dryness.
Frizz.
Impossible to manage.

After a few summers of getting really sick of this, I've come up with a routine that minimizes the frizz, detangles, smoothes, and softens my hair.

1.  Get out the excess chlorine water - After getting out of the pool, I gently squeeze the water out of the ends of my hair.

2.  Rinse - I hop in the shower and rinse my hair with cold water.

3.  Condition - This part I actually do outside of the shower. I squeeze the water out of my hair again, put a quarter-sized amount of conditioner in my palm (this actually turns into the size of three quarters for me, oops) and rub it all throughout my hair, focusing on my ends and any tangles.

4. Comb - I have to remind myself to be really gentle here, even though I have tangles galore at this point. It's really damaging to brush your hair while wet, so here's how I do it - I comb the last two inches of my hair until it is completely tangle-free and the comb glides through it, and then I move up and do the next two inches, and continue until I get to the roots of my hair and can run the comb down the entire section with ease.

5. Leave it - I don't rinse the conditioner out of my hair after I get all the knots out. I feel like it benefits my hair more if I leave it in. My hair drinks up the conditioner like it's starving, so my hair never looks greasy after this. But if your hair is prone to looking greasy, leave the conditioner in for an hour or two and then rinse it all out.

No comments:

Post a Comment